stuff i loved ... in october






It's been a busy week for us, this week. October turned into November without me even so much as realizing it. It was my first week of career coaching, and we had a children's Halloween party on Wednesday, and I went to a wonderfully entertaining choir concert with a friend last night. Socially, I feel like I'm stretching myself to my limits this week, but it's sometimes good to stretch yourself, isn't it? Today we're planning to visit my grandparents and then go to a Halloween party at our friends' later in the evening. I'm taking this short while writing this as a necessary breather and a moment of pausing. Because October really had some great insights to offer. Here's some stuff I loved:

READING NON-FICTION
Early on this month, my friend Amanda sent me a copy of the latest issue of Taproot Magazine. (Note to self: send a thank you note.) I loved so many of the articles in it, in fact I absolutely fell in love with the magazine, and especially Amanda's piece on how to build your own cider press. I definitely recommend the issue for anyone into slow, seasonal living & DIY.

I've also been inspired by how the Japanese embrace the seasons, the fleeting little moments of life, and the constant change in and around us, while reading two non-fiction books on Japanese culture: Every Day A Good Day by Noriko Morishita, and Wabi Sabi by Beth Kempton, both beautiful reminders to take moments of calm to appreciate everything life has to offer. 

DIGITAL DETOX
Removing all social media and podcast apps on my phone early on this month made my screen time drop by 62 per cent in the first week. Needless to say, I got a lot of things done that I always dream of doing but never find the time for. The greatest benefit, though, has been being more present in real life for my family and friends.

BEING MORE SOCIAL AND OUTGOING
Usually this time of the year I'm getting ready to shut myself into a quiet hygge bubble for the winter. I think it's the combination of not being on social media or working full-time that has made me more outgoing this October. From a weekend hiking with my nearest and dearest, to going out for coffee or to the gym with friends, visiting relatives, and even having the energy to take my daughter to seven different thrift shops during October, I've definitely hung out with my real life tribe much more than usual. It's sometimes a bit of stretch for me, as I said above, but a good one.

OCTOBER WEATHER
This is something I pause to appreciate and embrace every year. Where I live, October weather is something you can't count on to be constant; rather, it's ever changing. From the first sunny and frosty mornings to a stint of early-summer-like temperatures (we planted rhubarb bushed we got from friends!) to the snowy week we're having now, October weather has been full of wonderful surprises, and I've just loved it.

***

It's snowing this morning, and I'm about to go down to the basement to gather our basement-of-horrors decorations into a bag I'm taking to my friend, so she can decorate her house for the next children's party of all things scary and icky. The following week will be as full as this one's been, with concerts, gym dates, career coaching, children's parties my daughter is going to, as well as the usual everyday stuff of needing to come up with a nutritious meal for the family each night, and do the laundry so we each have clean clothes to wear, and having to decide what to do with my life in general.

It's a busy season in my life right now, but I'm embracing it, and I'm grateful for it, because I know the quiet lulls I sometimes feel like I'm in need of will be there waiting when the season changes. I hope November is kind and gentle to you, and you head into the holiday season with a thankful heart. 

Comments

  1. Taproot magazine is now on my coffeetable, started reading last evening and admiring the knittingpatterns of the various shawls.
    Always interested about your digital detox, I'm surely not ready for it yet, although I'm spending less time on my phone and started reading blogs on my laptop again, which isn't as ever present as my phone is (it limits my online-time) But then again, if I read in a blog they're also present on instagram, I automatically search them, so I've not quite the hang of it.
    But going back to th old days, then I was on my laptop only in evenings, because I didn't want my daughter to grow up with the image of het mother behind a laptop, but the image of a mother, who is present.
    And now I'm struggling again and also with the fact I don't want my daughter to spend lots of time on her phone. And it is something I still can controll slightly, by giving an (good)example as parent and telling her it is only an object to contact people, for the purpose of having real life contact.
    But enough ramblings.
    Wishing you too a kind and gentle November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I think it’s a struggle for all of us. I don’t think we need to be perfect in this, just like we don’t need to be perfect in anything else either. I try to limit my screentime to when my daughter is not present, but I don’t always succeed. And honestly, I miss Instagram and I think I might be going back sometime soon. See you there too, I hope!

      Delete
    2. I'll wait impatiently for your insta return.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've just stumbled upon your blog. Love your photography :)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment